Sixth grade is a wonderful time for girls to start at Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women! Our small group setting, high faculty to student ratio, and full time administrative and counseling team offers each student the opportunity to sparkle and shine! Each student receives academic support and differentiation, as well as transitional guidance as she adjusts from elementary school to middle school. Families are an integral part of this program as they join us to participate in numerous school events. Click the video below to listen to high school students reflect on their days in the 6th grade!
What is unique about Mercy's 6th Grade program?
- Class size - There are between 15 and 20 students per class.
- Differentiated Instruction - Different modes of instruction (whole group, small group, and partner work) paired with flexible grouping help to challenge students in a supportive environment.
- “CIA” Final Project – In lieu of final exams, each sixth grade student completes a “CIA” (Concern, Inquiry, Action) project at the end of the school year. For this project, each student selects a topic related to one of the Critical Concerns of the Sisters of Mercy. After completing research on this topic, each student completes an action component. Actions have ranged from arranging a fundraiser to volunteering for an organization. On the last day of classes, students share their research and their action component to an audience of students, teachers, and parents.
- Standards-Based Report Card - Created by the 6th Grade teachers and Mercy's Administrators, the Standards-Based Report Card allows students and parents to receive more effective feedback from teachers.
- Team Teaching - There are three 6th Grade teachers, each specializing in a core content area of math, ELA and science, who also teach social studies and collaborate with the theology, PE, art, and music teachers to ensure smooth transitions between classes.
- One-to-One Technology Program - Each student is issued her own Chromebook to use throughout the school year.
- Music Program - This includes lessons and participation in a 6th grade ensemble.
- Foreign Language - Students have a variety of experiences that allow for exploration in Spanish, French, and Latin.
- Service Opportunities - Mercy's 6th graders participate in "Ministry Days," sharing their time and talents by helping out at local organizations, including Angels of Mercy, Dress for Success, Foodlink, School #28, Indian Landing Elementary School, Saint's Place, and School of the Holy Childhood among others.
- Library/Study Skills - This is a unique 12-week program to help students effectively use the library and to implement essential study skills in their classes.
Listen to high school students reflect on their days in the 6th grade!