Information about the club
Who can come:
The group (book club, reading group, whatever) welcomes Mercians from every year, at any age.
What we read:
We read a mix of fiction and non-fiction, current books and oldies but goodies. We try to pick books that are available in the library system and, if possible, available in paperback. Any member is encouraged to suggest books for the list.
When we meet, and where:
The second Monday of the month from 7:30 to 9 pm. We meet at the Starbucks in Penfield, at the corner of Five Mile Line Road and Penfield Road (Rte. 441) In general, we will always try to meet in easy-to-find public places. That way, no one has to clean up her living room. We also want to emphasize the idea that the group is always open to all alums.
Finishing the book:
You don’t have to have finished the book to come to the discussion, but you can’t complain if the other people talk about what happened at the end.
READING LIST: THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2017
- October '16: The Johnstown Flood, David McCullough
- November '16: Canada, Richard Ford
- December '16/January '17: At Home: A Short History of Private Life, Bill Bryson
- February '17: Ladies Night at the Dreamland, Sonja Livingston
- March '17: The Nest, Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney (Our Lady of Mercy Class of 1978)
- April '17: The Night Trilogy, Elie Wiesel
- May '17: Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, Erik Larson
- June '17: The Secret Chord, Geraldine Brooks
- July '17: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, Susan Paine
- August '17: The Last Days of Night, Graham Moore
- September '17: A Man Called Ove, Frederik Hirshey
Meetings are held on the second Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at Starbucks, 1806 Penfield Road (near the corner of Penfield Road and Five Mile Line Road). No meeting in December.
Mercy graduates from any class are welcome. Look for the book lovers sitting (usually) at the long table just inside the door; we'll be glad to meet you!