Gathering to celebrate good books and good friends
The Book Club welcomes Mercy alumnae from every graduating year, from the 1930s up to 2021. We read a mix of fiction and non-fiction, current books, as well as oldies but goodies. We try to pick books that are available in the library system, and if possible, available in paperback. Any member is encouraged to suggest books for the list.
Due to COVID-19, Book Club meetings are currently being held virtually through Zoom on the second Monday of the month from 7:30 to 9 p.m. When it’s safe to meet in person, our “official” meeting place is Starbucks in Penfield, at the corner of Five Mile Line Road and Penfield Road (Route 441). In general, we will always try to meet in easy-to-find public places. That way, no one has to clean up her living room.
For more information about joining the club, contact Taylor Saunders Garrett ’08 at Taylorgarrett697@gmail.com or 585-300-8610.
Mercy Alumnae Book Club 2021-2022 Selections
- September - My Antonia by Willa Cather
- October - Biloxi by Mary Miller
- November - A Woman of No Importance by Sonia Purnell
- January - Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, & the Dawn of a New America by Gilbert King
- February - In Five Years by Rebecca Serle
- March - The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
- April - I Came as a Shadow: An Autobiography by John Thompson
- May - Hamnet: A Novel of the Plague by Maggie O’Farrell
- June - The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery
- July - The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead
- August - Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown by Anne Glenconner
- September - Their Eyes Were Watching God (Classic published in 1937) by Zora Neale Hurston