At the start of every school day, a Mercy student reads the announcements over the public address system following the Pledge of Allegiance and morning prayer. Ranging from sports results to club meetings to simple reminders, these announcements ensure each student is up-to-date on the latest information for the day. If you want to keep up with the Mercy announcements, browse the list below.
- January 26, 2021
Announcements for January 26, 2021
- Attention all 9th - 12th graders!
- A new club is forming - and we need your help! Are you interested in helping to reduce stress, lower anxiety, increase JOY, and build lasting relationships here at Mercy? Become a Wellness Warrior!
- Mrs. Cady is looking for young women to join this NEW club and help spark joy and engagement at Mercy Blossom! Our first meeting will be on Wednesday, Feb. 3rd at 3:00PM via google meets.
- Here is the link to join the google meet! Hope to see you there! Any questions, contact Mrs. Cady
- Do you have a New Year’s Resolution to study more, or maximize your success at Mercy? Or maybe you want to spend more time doing what you love outside of school? We’re here to help! The Mercy Time Management Club is here to provide resources, education, and concrete tools to help you manage your time better, and make you the best Mercy girl you can be! Join us for our first meeting on Wednesday, January 27th at 4:00 PM to talk about long term goal setting, digital resources, and the purpose of the club! All students grades 9-12 are welcome, and leadership and mentoring opportunities are available for older students who are interested! Contact Emma Phelps (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Dickey (email@example.com) for more details, or join our google classroom page! (code: ay5q27s)
- January 25, 2021
Announcements for January 25, 2021
- Attention Seniors! We are excited to announce that 4 local colleges will be conducting Instant Decision Days exclusively for our seniors NEXT WEEK! Please check your emails or see the Parent update to schedule a 20 minute virtual interview with Roberts Wesleyan, Keuka College, SUNY Brockport and MCC. You must sign up by THIS Friday, January 29. Please contact the counseling if you have questions.
- On Tuesday, February 2nd during Advisement, Mercedes Literary Magazine is hosting a Black Out Poetry session! At this event, you will have the opportunity to explore your creative side. All are welcome to attend! Check your student email for more information on how to participate.
- January 21, 2021
Announcements for January 21, 2021
- Looking for something new? Join Mercy Crew. Winter training starts January 25, 2021
- No experience is needed to join the team. We will train you. Training will be held at the Bay View YMCA in Webster and at the Mercy Crew Erg Center at 3300 Monroe Ave. If you have any questions, please email Coach Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org. Session is 8 weeks from 4:00PM-5:00PM from January 25 through March 26, 2021.
- January 15, 2021
Announcements for January 15, 2021
- Greetings, past and aspiring Math League members:
- Are you missing our math contests?
- Are you suffering withdrawal from interesting math puzzles?
- Well, there's good news!
- Head on down to the Math League Google Classroom (CODE: lr7n4e2) to find the monthly contest questions and answers that were produced for this year. Brain food! Once again, that code is: lr7n4e2 .
- [The first letter in the code is L.]
- Happy puzzling!
- January 14, 2021
Announcements for January 14, 2021
- And now, Mercy’s Green Team Thoughtful Thursday tip: Did you know that the average American uses 88 gallons of water a day at home? That's like 88 gallons of milk jugs but with water! The average American family uses at least 300 gallons of water per day at home. As water shortages out West are becoming more prevalent it's important to keep in mind how we can conserve water. When brushing your teeth, consider turning off the faucet. Also, when washing dishes, consider having a bowl of soapy water instead of the faucet running the whole time.
- January 13, 2021
Announcements for January 13, 2021
- Monday, 1/18: No School (MLK Jr Day)
- We will have in person instruction on 1/19-1/20 for Faith and in person for Hope on 1/21-1/22. Transportation has been notified and this was shared out in the Parent Update.
- January 12, 2021
Announcements for January 12, 2021Now your Mercy Green Team Tuesday Tip: Are you sick of seeing individual food wrappers thrown on the ground everywhere you look? Well if so, consider purchasing items in bulk from stores to cut down on plastic. Not only would this cut down on plastics but has the potential to reduce the number of transportation trips company's carry out.
- January 8, 2021
Announcements for January 8, 2021
- STUDY HALL ATTENDANCE
- Students are required to check-in for study hall attendance while remote. You must report at the start of class only.
- PICTURE RETAKES
- High School retakes will be on 1/11 for Faith and on 1/15 for Hope. Pictures will be taken in the Gallery between 10AM-12PM. Middle School retakes will be on 1/14. More information on location and time to come from Dr. D.
- January 7, 2021
Announcements for January 7, 2021
- The McAuley Chapter of the Junior Catholic Daughters of the Americas Club invites all Our Lady of Mercy students to participate in their 2021 National Education Contest. The theme of this year's contest is "Let All You Do Be Done with Love", or "Show Love to One Another".
- Use your imagination to create and submit an essay, poem, piece of art, or photograph by January 24th to Mrs. Hookway, moderator of the Junior Catholic Daughters of the Americas Club. For further information including rules and award information, please contact Mrs. Hookway.
- December 16, 2020
Announcements for December 16, 2020
- Are you looking for something fun to do over Christmas break? Then Mercedes literary magazine has just the activity for you! Through January 6th, Mercedes will be accepting submissions to their annual One-Act play contest.
- While any theme is acceptable, we recommend using the holiday themes of family, belonging, and hospitality as a starting point. Submissions can be sent to email@example.com. Happy holidays!
- December 15, 2020
Announcements for December 15, 2020
- Attention all writers! This month, Mercedes literary magazine is hosting its annual One Act Play contest. While there is no theme requirement, check your student email and the posters on the walls for inspiration. Any length is acceptable! To enter the contest, send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 6th. Good luck!
- Here is the Mercy Green Team Tuesday Tip: Did you know that recycling one aluminum can has the potential to run your surface pro for three hours!? ( In alliance with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). The next time you go to toss out a can of soda consider all of that energy you could be harvesting for your computer! We all know how fast our computers drain, don't we?
- December 11, 2020
Announcements for December 11, 2020
- This is an announcement for anyone who is interested in participating in varsity indoor track and field this winter. We will be holding open track workouts starting this Friday, December 11th outside on the track and field. Starting next week, we hold open workouts outside at the track on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 3:30PM to 4:45PM. These workouts are not mandatory, anyone who is interested in participating at the varsity level is welcome to come. Workouts are dependent on the weather, so please dress appropriately. Please contact Coach Ludgood with any questions.
- Here’s your “Thoughtful Thursday” from the Green Team: Do you reuse your wrapping paper, gifts, or holiday ribbon? If every family reused just two feet of holiday ribbon, the 38,000 miles of ribbon saved could tie a bow around the entire planet(in accordance with Stanford University). Don't you want to treat our planet this holiday season? Perhaps, consider purchasing a Mercy Green Team Reusable Bag from Mrs. Randazzese in the media center!
- December 10, 2020
Announcements for December 10, 2020
- Congratulations to our fall varsity athletes who qualified as New York State Scholar-Athletes. There is a pin in homeroom mail for each of you to recognize your achievement.
- December 8, 2020
Announcements for December 8, 2020
- Link for Feast of the Immaculate Conception Mass is at 9:AM on December 8. The Link is https://www.sjcpenfield.com/online-ministries
- December 4, 2020
Announcements for December 4, 2020
- Attention all students with food allergies or food restrictions. A Mercy Junior has started a club for you. Our next meeting will be on Wednesday, December 9th at 2PM over google meet. Please check your student email for the Google Meet code. Hope to see you next Wednesday!
- Members of the Varsity Swim Team and JV Tennis Team who ordered apparel this season can pick up their orders from Mr. Yandek in the Athletic Department.
- December 3, 2020
Announcements for December 3, 2020
- Attention students: would you like to participate in a small group focused on finding joy during the holiday season?
- The Mercy Counseling Department will be offering small group opportunities for students in grades 9-12 to connect with peers, engage in some self-reflection exercises, and brain-storm ways to find joy throughout the holiday season.
- Groups will take place on Mondays and Thursdays, beginning Monday, Dec. 7th during advisement. Space is limited so you must register ahead of time!
- If you are interested, please visit the Counseling Office to register!
- December 1, 2020
Announcements for December 1, 2020
- Varsity bowling practices begin this Thursday at 3:30PM at Empire Lanes. In order to be eligible for tryouts , your paperwork must be cleared by the school nurse. Please contact Mr. Yandek , if you have any questions.
- There will be an open turf session on Thursday afternoon for anyone interested in playing JV or Varsity Lacrosse this spring. The session will be from 3:30PM until 4:45PM on the turf field. Please be sure to bring your stick, goggles, cleats, mouthpiece, and a mask if you would like to participate. If you are coming from off campus, you must complete the daily health screen before arriving at school. Please contact Mr. Yandek with any questions, 585-288-7120 ext 331.
- November 16, 2020
Announcements for November 16, 2020
- Congratulations to the Mercy Soccer Team on their 3-2 win over Mendon today in the Class A Sectional . The Monarchs advance to the Class A Semifinals against Churchville-Chili. That game will be played Tuesday at Churchville.
- Attention all bookworms! Are you looking for your next good read? Then join Bluestockings, Mercy’s high school literary club! We will be reading the first part of Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston soon, so make sure to get a copy and join us on December 1st for a discussion. Contact Lola DeAscentiis for the classroom code and further information.
- November 9, 2020
Announcements for November 9, 2020
- Attention ALL Sophomores: It is time to sign up for the HOBY State Leadership Seminar!! This is a special opportunity for Sophomores ONLY. Learn and grow in leadership skills while experiencing the university campus life and connecting with other selected sophomores from our state! The 3 days of fun and fellowship are June 4 through June 6 but you MUST SIGN UP NOW!! Please come to the counseling office and let Mrs. Thomas or Mrs. Costello know you are interested by Nov 20th !! Don’t miss this great opportunity to participate in this leadership opportunity!!!
- November 6, 2020
Announcements for November 6, 2020
- Do you love reading? Are you interested in reading poetry about the fight for racial and gender equality? Join Bluestockings, the high school's literary club! Next Tuesday, November 10, we will be reading poems by the social activist Audre Lorde. The classroom code is sdicrvm. Contact Mrs. Kurzweil with any questions.
- November 3, 2020
Announcements for November 3, 2020
- Are you looking for a fun, laid back way to spend your Wednesday afternoon? Then join us this Wednesday at 3:30 PM for the virtual CJ Cafe! All are welcome to come and read, perform, or just sit back and enjoy the show! Check your student emails for the Classroom code and other information. Attention all writers! The deadline to submit to the Mercedes short story contest has been extended to next Monday, November 9th. Any length and theme is acceptable. The winner will receive a prize! Contact Lola DeAscentiis with any questions.
- October 30, 2020
Announcements for October 30, 2020
- Good morning everyone, Next Wednesday, November 4, we will be hosting the first Best Buddies Meeting of the year. This meeting will be at 1:30PM over google meet and is open to all grades 6-12. Please check your email for the meet link or join the google classroom with the code: h332ig6.
- Please reach out to Megan Lana, Anna Costello, or Sydney LaSalle with any questions or check your email for more details. We hope to see you there :)
- Mercy's Green Team is holding their first meeting next Wednesday, 11/4 at Noon on Google Meet. Check your emails for the link. See Seniors Regan Daley or Delaney Fischer for more information. All are invited to see how YOU can help make Mercy and our Earth more green.
- Here's your Thoughtful Thursday tip from Green Team: Don't put your paper and cardboard out for recycling if it's raining, unless you have some sort of a rain cover for your bin. Hold it until the next week. Soggy paper and cardboard don't get recycled, they go to the landfill.
- The Red Cross Club is hosting the annual Jazzercise Fundraiser on November 8th from 12-1 PM on the turf. This can count as your PE Project for this semester. Sign up with your PE teacher either in class or via email. The first 60 students to sign up get in! The donation for this activity is ten dollars. Don't forget to wear a mask, practice social distancing, and complete your health screen prior to arrival at Mercy. We hope to see you there!
- October 27, 2020
Announcements for October 27, 2020
- The Mercy Mosaic Civic Equality Club invites you, your family, and friends to a socially distanced Halloween walk through Mount Hope Cemetery on October 31st @11:30 AM. During the two mile walk we will stop to learn more about and honor some of Rochester's most well known historical figures. A free will donation to benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Rochester and Mercy Mosaic Civic Equality Club will be gratefully accepted. Bonus!!! This activity counts as the PE First Semester Participation Project for Mercy students!!!
- On Friday October 30th from 3-4pm in the pottery room, the Throw-A-Thon will be held as part of Nadya Vega’s Motto project. If you are interested make sure to check your email for a signup link that has been sent. If you would like to participate and have taken or are taking pottery 1 and still want to participate email her as soon as possible.
- October 20, 2020
Announcements for October 20, 2020
- Students, we want to hear from you! On Friday during advisement all students both at home and remote will be taking a 20 minute survey. Your homeroom teachers will be posting the link in their Google classrooms. The survey will ask you about your overall experience at Mercy with a few questions about your experience during COVID. We will use your responses to make Mercy even better. Congratulations to the varsity golf team on winning the Section V Girls Golf Championship yesterday. The Monarchs came from behind to defeat Victor by 1 stroke to earn their 2nd straight sectional title. The Monarchs were led by Georgia Spatorico with a round of 83 and Michaela Eichas with a round of 86.
- October 19, 2020
Announcements for October 19, 2020
- Attention Sophomores! Remember to bring in your cans as you arrive to school for Unity Wednesday! Your cans will be donated to Cameron Community Ministries.
- This year, Mercy Service is going Hybrid. This Wednesday morning, students are going to Dimitri House. This Saturday, students will cook dinner at Bethany House. After school, you can be a Virtual Reading Buddy with a Rochester City School student.
- Check your student emails for the Mercy Service google classroom code or see Mrs. Randazzese in the media center for more info.
- October 15, 2020
Announcements for October 15, 2020
- Attention Seniors! Please remember to turn in your signed transcript to Ms. Costello in the Counseling office ASAP.
- If you need another copy, Ms. Costello will be happy to print one for you.
- October 13, 2020
Announcements for October 13, 2020
- Good morning, Mercy! It’s that time of year again. Mercedes is accepting submissions from writers and artists! If you want your short stories, one-act plays, and poetry included in the 92nd edition of Mercy’s literary magazine, please send submissions to email@example.com. We look forward to reading your work!
- Attention Model UN members, our next meeting will be tomorrow (Wednesday) at 1:00 PM please see google classroom for the meeting link.
- October 8, 2020
Announcements for October 8, 2020
- The Monarchs earned victories by the Varsity and JV Soccer Teams, Varsity Tennis Team, and Varsity Golf Team. The Varsity Soccer Team defeated Aquinas 2 - 0, the JV Soccer Team defeated Aquinas 3 - 0. Varsity Tennis swept East Rochester 5 - 0, and the Varsity Golf Team defeated Pittsford, Victor, and Webster.
- October 7, 2020
Announcements for October 7, 2020
- To kick off the year, Mercy Mosaic Diversity Club is holding a hygiene drive for Bethany House and House of Mercy. Both are homeless shelters in Rochester who help those facing homelessness, domestic violence, incarceration, addiction, as well as mental and physical illnesses. These shelters help people and families to get a fresh start by giving them supplies and the support they need to get back on their feet. This week and next week up until Friday the 16th there will be boxes in the high school gallery. The list of items we are collecting includes lotion, bars of body soap, deodorant, dish soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, and toothpaste! Thank you for your donations in advance and spread the word!
- October 6, 2020
Announcements for October 6, 2020
- High School Students:
- This Friday, October 9 and next Monday, October 12 will be entirely remote instruction days. Be sure you are prepared for these days by gathering all materials you will need to stay on top of your work. If you drive to school, recognize that the parking lot is meant for single lane traffic. Please do not pass cars that are dropping off your schoolmates.
- October 5, 2020
Announcements for October 5, 2020
- Attention Model UN members, the next meeting will be Wednesday at 2:30 PM. This meeting is required for all Members and will be brief for returning members.
- October 1, 2020
Announcements for October 1, 2020
- October 2020 is Mercy School Spirit Month!
- OLM Students in grades 9 -12 are invited to participate in Mercy Spirit Wear Days on Tuesdays and Fridays, beginning NEXT WEEK on October 6th and going through October 30th!
- On Tuesdays and Fridays, high school students can wear Mercy Spirit Wear (Mercy t-shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, class t-shirts) with uniform bottoms to show off our school spirit and class unity! Students are reminded that they should wear uniform bottoms with the Mercy top of their choice.
- Let's show off our OLM Pride all month long!
- Just a reminder OLM class colors: Freshman (GREEN), Sophomores (BLUE), Juniors (RED), Seniors (YELLOW)
- September 28, 2020
Announcements for September 28, 2020
- Attention anyone interested in Model UN this year. We will have a virtual meeting this Wednesday at 11:00AM. Please see the google classroom code outside of 113 to join. See Mr. Stryker with any questions.
- September 24, 2020
Announcements for September 24, 2020
- Attention Juniors and Seniors - College Virtual Visits are underway! Please check your Naviance accounts for the most update list of colleges and universities that have scheduled a virtual visit. All visits are taking place after school hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. On Wednesdays, visits are scheduled from 8:30am-4:00pm. If you have any questions or are unable to make a virtual visit, please see Ms. Costello in the Counseling office and she will connect you with the college representative.
- September 15, 2020
Announcements for September 15, 2020
- All high school students are welcome to Join the Mercy Service Think Tank google meet at 10:00 AM tomorrow morning. Come and hear about Virtual read-alouds with School #8 elementary children and Virtual Themed activity hours with the elderly at The Legacy. Mrs. Randazzese is looking forward to brainstorming new ideas with you that follow our health & safety guidelines. The Mercy Service Think Tank google meet link is in your student emails.
- There will be an officers meeting of the McAuley Chapter of the Junior Catholic Daughters of the Americas On Wednesday at 9am. The Google Meet code to use for the meeting is on the Club's Google Classroom page.
- The Junior Catholic Daughters of the Americas held an essay contest this spring. Not only did Grace Kurzweil win the regional competition, she also came in 1st Place for the State of New York. Congratulations on this achievement and honor Grace!
- This afternoon there will be an informational meeting Varsity and JV soccer informational meeting today at 3:00 PM on the grass field.
- There will also be an informational meeting for varsity tennis this afternoon 3:00 PM at the turf field.
- The informational meeting for Varsity Cross County will be held tonight via zoom. Please check the Mercy Athletics Website for log-on information.
- Attention members of last year's indoor track team. If you have not turned in your uniform and warm-ups from last season, please be sure to turn them in to Mr. Yandek in the athletics office this week. If you have not turned in your uniform by the end of this week, you will not be able to tryout for a fall sport until you have paid the uniform replacement fee. Please see Mr. Yandek with any questions.
- Calling all readers! Bluestockings is a literary club for students in grades 9-12. Our first meeting will be held virtually on September 16 after school. We will wrap up the book that we read last spring, Olive Kitteridge, and then in October discuss a novel by Ruta Sepetys. New members are always welcome. If you are interested or have any questions, contact Mrs. Kurzweil at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jenna Magioncalda at email@example.com.
- Join the fantastic staff of The Quill, our student newspaper! Our first virtual full staff meeting is today at 4:00 pm. Just join The Quill Google Classroom and you will find the meet code. The code for the Google Classroom is w5flsgi. Again, the code is w5flsgi. You may also email Mrs. DeMulder or Mrs. K. Miller for information.
- September 14, 2020
Announcements for September 14, 2020
- There will be an informational meeting for the Varsity golf team today at 3:00 PM at the track. If you are unable to attend there will be a second meeting on Thursday after school.
- There will be an informational meeting for JV and Varsity soccer tomorrow after school at the grass field at 3:00 PM. If you are unable to attend, there will be another meeting on Thursday. Please see Mrs. Trost if you have any questions.
- There will also be an informational meeting for Varsity and JV tennis tomorrow at 3:00 PM on the turf field. If you are unable to attend there will be another meeting on Thursday.
- Varsity cross country will be holding an informational meeting via Zoom on Tuesday evening. Log-in information can be found on the athletics website.
- September 11, 2020
Announcements for September 11, 2020
- There will be an informational meeting for the varsity golf team on Monday and Thursday of next week at 3:00 PM on the bleachers at the track and field. If you are interested in playing varsity golf this fall you are encouraged to attend one of the meetings. Please contact Coach Odenbach or Mr. Yandek if you have any questions.
- A reminder that today is the last to have your ID picture taken. All students, faculty, and staff must have their picture taken if they have not done so already. The photographer will be here until 1:00 PM.
- All seniors: please report to the cafeteria at 8:00 AM. Thank you.