Voted the Best Private School in Rochester
Our Lady of Mercy is a Catholic school for young women in grades 6-12 offering a college preparatory academic program. Our school is a ministry of the Sisters of Mercy, founded by Catherine McAuley in 1831. We are part of a 58-member Mercy Education System of the Americas, and as such, are committed to the education of young women of all faiths and backgrounds.
Since 1928, Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women has been a life changing experience for over 13,000 students. Our goal is to provide students with the tools they need to experience academic excellence, spirituality, and lifelong success. Mercy’s academic curriculum is college preparatory. Over 70% of the student population participates in the athletics program as members of over 30 sports teams.
Mercy students take part in many extracurricular activities, including clubs, student-led groups, and the performing arts. Ministry and service are integral parts of the Mercy experience. The traditions of Mercy date back to 1928 and include Spirit Week, Golden Mass, and May Day. Mercy alumnae are active with their alma mater, participating in reunions and fundraisers, and many become parents of Mercy students. Leadership on campus and in the community helps students achieve greatness in their college years and beyond.
Letter From President and Principal
Welcome to Mercy!
We are so pleased you are considering entrusting Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women with the education of your daughter. As a Mercy Girl, she will be a part of the ever-widening Circle of Mercy – a loving and compassionate family that spans the globe. By choosing Mercy, you should:
• Expect great things from your daughter – as a student, she will be on a journey of spiritual and academic excellence that will forever change her life. The bond of sisterhood she will experience while in school and as an alumna will be cherished for a lifetime. She will grow, she will be challenged, and she will become a leader.
• Expect great things from Mercy’s teachers – our faculty and staff work tirelessly to ensure all our students receive a world class education. Mercy faculty members love to teach and are wonderful advocates for the young ladies. Success is a shared goal among teachers, students, and parents.
• Expect great things from Mercy’s administration – the leadership and Board of Trustees are visionary thinkers and planners. They work in tandem to chart the future of Mercy, always thinking how they can improve the day-to-day life experience of the students, as well as their future.
At Mercy, your daughter will not only benefit from the school’s proven academic excellence; safe and supportive all-girl environment; abundant extracurricular offerings; and inclusive, faith-filled atmosphere… we will help her discover passions within herself which will manifest in wondrous ways we cannot possibly fathom. Life is good in the Circle of Mercy!
Pamela Fennell Baker ’74 P’12
President and CEO
Martin Kilbridge, Ed.D.
- Mercy has been educating young women since 1928.
- Mercy students hail from near and far, including Albania, China, Congo, Kosovo, Mexico, Nigeria, Russia, and South Korea. Locally, 38 school districts are represented among the ranks of our students.
- Each year, 100% of seniors graduate and between 99% and 100% of our graduates go on to higher education, attending nationally renowned institutions such as Boston College, Brown University, Cornell University, Duke University, Georgetown University, Harvard University, MIT, Rochester Institute of Technology, U.S. Naval Academy, Notre Dame, University of Rochester, Villanova, Yale and many other prestigious schools.
- Mercy’s Class of 2020 merited a total of $40 million in college scholarships.
- SAT test scores of Mercy students rank higher than the national average.
- Over 70% of the student population participates in the athletics program as members of over 30 sports teams.
- Mercy provides more than $1.5 million annually in tuition assistance.
- Mercy boasts more than 13,000 alumnae, many of whom are actively involved in the school.